A comprehensive guide to easily downloading zip files on your iPhone
The iPhone is one of the most popular smartphones worldwide, known for its sleek design, powerful features, and user-friendly interface. While it offers a seamless experience for many tasks, downloading zip files can be a bit challenging. In this comprehensive guide, we will explain why iPhones can't natively download zip files, introduce the necessary tools to overcome this limitation, provide a step-by-step guide to downloading zip files on an iPhone, and highlight the benefits of being able to download zip files.
4 nov 2021
What are zip files?
Zip files, also known as compressed files, are archives that can contain one or more files and folders. They are widely used for file compression, which helps reduce file size and makes it easier to transfer files over the internet. Zip files are commonly used to package multiple files into a single folder for organization and convenience.
Why can't iPhone natively download zip files?
Unlike some other operating systems, such as Android or Windows, iPhone's native software restrictions and the iOS operating system's limitations prevent users from directly downloading and accessing zip files. Apple has implemented these restrictions to enhance security and protect users from potentially harmful files. However, there are third-party applications available that can overcome these limitations and enable users to download and manage zip files on their iPhones.
Necessary tools for downloading zip files on iPhone
To download and manage zip files on an iPhone, you will need to install third-party applications from the App Store. Here are some recommended apps:
iZip: iZip is a popular app that offers a simple yet powerful solution for downloading and managing zip files on your iPhone. It provides an easy-to-use interface, supports various zip file formats, and allows you to preview and extract files from zip archives.
Documents by Readdle: Documents by Readdle is an all-in-one document management app that supports various file formats, including zip files. It offers a user-friendly interface, allows you to download and unzip files, and provides additional features such as file organization and cloud storage integration.
WinZip: WinZip is a well-known and trusted file compression and decompression tool that also offers an iOS app. It enables you to download, unzip, and manage zip files on your iPhone with ease. It provides a familiar interface for users familiar with the desktop version of WinZip.
Slik Safe: Slik Safe is a secure file management app that allows you to download and manage zip files on your iPhone. It offers end-to-end encryption, advanced security features, and seamless integration with cloud storage services.
Step-by-step guide to download zip files
1. Install the chosen app: Visit the App Store on your iPhone, search for the preferred app, and install it.
2. Launch the app: Once installed, locate the app's icon on your home screen and tap on it to launch the application.
3. Navigate to the zip file: Use the integrated file browser or download manager within the app to locate and select the zip file you want to download. You can either browse through your device's internal storage or enter a URL to download the zip file directly from a website.
4. Begin the download: Once you have selected the zip file, initiate the download process by tapping on the appropriate button or link within the app.
5. Access the downloaded file: After the download is complete, navigate to the app's file manager or download folder to find the downloaded zip file.
6. Extract the files: Tap on the downloaded zip file to open it within the app. From there, you can preview the files or choose an option to extract them.
7. Save the extracted files: Select a destination folder within the app's file manager to save the extracted files. You can choose to save them on your device's internal storage or integrate with cloud storage services for seamless access across multiple devices.
Read More: Unzipping Files on iPhone
How to handle downloaded zip files on iPhone
Once you have successfully downloaded and extracted a zip file on your iPhone, you might wonder how to access the unzipped files. Here's how:
Open the Files app on your iPhone. This app comes pre-installed on most iPhones and provides a centralized location to access all your files.
Navigate to the folder where you saved the extracted files. If you saved them within the app you used to download the zip file, locate the app's folder in the Files app.
Tap on the extracted files to open and view them. Depending on the file type, you might need specific apps installed on your iPhone to properly view or edit the files.
Read More: How to Download Files on iPhone
Benefits of being able to download zip files on iPhone
Being able to download and manage zip files on an iPhone offers several benefits:
File organization: Zip files allow you to organize multiple files into a single folder, reducing clutter and improving file management.
Efficient file transfer: Compressing files into a zip format reduces file size, making it quicker and easier to transfer files over the internet.
Enhanced productivity: Being able to download and extract zip files on the go enables you to access and work with important files anytime, anywhere.
Expanded compatibility: Many files, such as documents, images, or even entire websites, are often shared in zip format. With the ability to download zip files, you can access and utilize a wider range of content.
In this comprehensive guide, we have explored the various aspects of downloading zip files on an iPhone. Although iPhones cannot natively handle zip files, third-party apps such as iZip, Documents by Readdle, and WinZip provide convenient solutions. By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this article, you can easily download and manage zip files on your iPhone, enhancing your productivity and file accessibility.